As the leaves turn golden and the air grows crisp, Woodstock comes alive with the gentle whispers of apple-picking season. Amidst branches laden with nature’s sweet jewels, one cannot help but surrender to the enchanting call of apple picking in this serene haven.
Whether with friends, family, or in quiet solitude, apple picking in Woodstock promises a magical escape from the ordinary.
Apple Picking Season in Illinois
Apple picking season in Illinois typically starts in late August and lasts through October.
The exact timing and duration of the season can vary depending on the specific apple varieties and the weather conditions during the growing season.
Some early varieties, like Zestar and Paula Red, may be available in late August, while others, like Honeycrisp, Jonathan, and Gala, often become ready for picking in September.
Later varieties, such as Fuji, Granny Smith, and Pink Lady, might extend the season into late October. To get the most accurate and up-to-date information on apple availability, it’s best to contact your local orchards directly or check their websites.
Woodstock Il Apple Picking Farms
1. All Seasons Orchard
- Website: www.allseasonsorchard.com
- Location: 14510 IL Route 176, Woodstock, IL 60098
- Distance: Approximately 4 miles from Woodstock city center
2. Heider’s Berry Farm
- Website: www.heidersberryfarm.com
- Location: 1106 N Queen Anne Rd, Woodstock, IL 60098
- Distance: Approximately 5 miles from Woodstock city center
3. Royal Oak Farm Orchard
- Website: www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
- Location: 15908 Hebron Rd, Harvard, IL 60033
- Distance: Approximately 13 miles from Woodstock city center
4. Cody’s Farm and Orchard
- Website: www.codysfarm.com
- Location: 19502 River Rd, Marengo, IL 60152
- Distance: Approximately 16 miles from Woodstock city center
5. Prairie Sky Orchard
- Website: www.prairieskyorchard.com
- Location: 4914 N Union Rd, Union, IL 60180
- Distance: Approximately 18 miles from Woodstock city center
6. Susie’s Garden Patch
- Website: www.susiesgardenpatch.com
- Location: 10258 US Highway 20, Garden Prairie, IL 61038
- Distance: Approximately 21 miles from Woodstock city center
Note that these are the most notable picking farms near Woodstock, IL, and availability of fruits and vegetables will depend on the season. It’s always a good idea to check the websites or call ahead to confirm picking options, hours, and availability before visiting.
Apple Picking Festivals and events in Illinois
Apple picking festivals and events are popular in Illinois during the apple picking season, which typically runs from late August through October.
While specific dates for apple picking festivals and events in Illinois may vary from year to year, here is a list of some popular annual events:
Long Grove Apple Fest
Usually held in late September, this annual festival takes place in historic downtown Long Grove. It celebrates all things apple with various apple-themed treats, live music, vendors, and family-friendly activities.
Jonamac Orchard Apple Picking & Fall Festival
Located in Malta, IL, Jonamac Orchard hosts apple picking and other fall activities from August through October. Enjoy apple picking, a corn maze, pumpkin patch, apple cannon, and more.
County Line Orchard Apple Festival
County Line Orchard in Hobart, Indiana, is just a short drive from Illinois and hosts an annual Apple Festival in September. Visitors can enjoy apple picking, a corn maze, and plenty of family activities.
Edward’s Apple Orchard
With two locations in Poplar Grove and Winnebago, Edward’s Apple Orchard hosts apple picking events and activities from mid-August through October. Visitors can pick apples, visit the farm market, and participate in various family activities.
All Seasons Orchard
Located in Woodstock, IL, All Seasons Orchard offers apple picking from late August through October. The orchard also features a pumpkin patch, corn maze, and various activities for families.
Remember that event details, including dates and activities, may change from year to year, so it’s best to check with the event organizers or the individual orchards’ websites for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
Tips for a Successful Apple Picking Experience
Apple picking is a fun and rewarding activity for the whole family. However, it can quickly turn into a frustrating experience if you are not prepared. Here are some tips to help you make the most out of your apple picking adventure:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes
- Bring sunscreen and bug spray
- Check the weather forecast and plan accordingly
- Call ahead to confirm the orchard’s hours and availability
- Bring cash or check, as some orchards may not accept credit cards
- Bring your own bags or containers for the apples
- Be respectful of the orchard’s rules and regulations
- Don’t climb on the trees or damage the fruit
- Sample the apples before picking to make sure they are ripe and sweet
- Have fun and enjoy the experience!
By following these tips, you can ensure a successful apple picking experience that will create memories for years to come.
Benefits of Apple Picking
Apple picking is a fun activity that offers many benefits for individuals and families. Here are some of the benefits of apple picking:
- Fresh air and exercise: Apple picking is a great way to get outside and enjoy the fresh air while getting some exercise. Walking through the orchard and carrying a bag of apples can help burn calories and increase heart rate.
- Family fun: Apple picking is a great activity for families to enjoy together. It can be a fun way to bond and create memories. Parents can teach their children about the different types of apples and how they grow.
- Healthy snack: Apples are a nutritious snack that are high in fiber and low in calories. Picking your own apples ensures that they are fresh and free of pesticides and other harmful chemicals.
- Supporting local farms: By picking apples at a local farm, you are supporting the local economy and helping to sustain local agriculture. It’s a great way to give back to the community.
- Learning experience: Apple picking can be a great learning experience for children and adults alike. It can teach about agriculture, the environment, and the importance of supporting local farms.
Apple Picking Near By Cities
Apple Picking FAQs
What should I wear when apple picking?
Wear comfortable clothing and closed-toe shoes suitable for walking on uneven terrain. Dress in layers, as the temperature can change throughout the day. A hat and sunscreen are recommended for sun protection.
Do I need to bring my own bags or containers for apple picking?
Some orchards provide bags or containers for apple picking, while others may require you to bring your own. It’s a good idea to check with the orchard beforehand or bring your own reusable bags just in case.
How much does apple picking cost?
The cost of apple picking varies by the orchard and may be priced per pound, per bag, or as a flat rate for a specific container size. Some orchards may also charge an admission fee. Check with the specific orchard for their pricing structure.
Are apple orchards pet-friendly?
Policies regarding pets vary by orchard. Some orchards may allow pets on a leash, while others may not permit pets at all. It’s best to check with the individual orchard for their pet policy before visiting.