Looking for a fun, seasonal activity in Bergen County? Apple picking is a fantastic option, offering both entertainment and education for all ages.
Visit one of the many orchards in the area to learn about the different varieties of apples, participate in this timeless tradition, and explore the wonders of apple picking in Bergen County.
This delightful experience is a must for anyone seeking an enjoyable day out in nature.
Apple Picking Season in New Jersey
Apple picking season in New Jersey typically begins in early September and runs through late October, though the specific time frame can vary slightly depending on the weather and the variety of apples being harvested.
New Jersey is home to several apple orchards that offer a fun and family-friendly apple picking experience. Some popular apple varieties grown in the region include Gala, McIntosh, Fuji, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, and Honeycrisp, among others.
When planning your apple picking trip, it’s a good idea to call ahead or check the orchard’s website to confirm the availability of specific apple varieties and to make sure they are open for picking.
Additionally, weekends are usually busier at most orchards, so visiting on a weekday can provide a more relaxed experience.
Bergen County Apple Picking Farms
1. Demarest Farms
- Website: www.demarestfarms.com
- Location: 244 Wierimus Rd, Hillsdale, NJ 07642
- Distance: Approximately 13 miles from Hackensack, NJ
2. Abma’s Farm
- Website: www.abmasfarm.com
- Location: 700 Lawlins Rd, Wyckoff, NJ 07481
- Distance: Approximately 6 miles from Paramus, NJ
3. Secor Farms
- Website: www.secorfarms.com
- Location: 85 Airmont Ave, Mahwah, NJ 07430
- Distance: Approximately 13 miles from Paramus, NJ
4. Alstede Farms
- Website: www.alstedefarms.com
- Location: 1 Alstede Farms Ln, Chester, NJ 07930
- Distance: Approximately 34 miles from Paramus, NJ
5. Battleview Orchards
- Website: www.battlevieworchards.com
- Location: 91 Wemrock Rd, Freehold, NJ 07728
- Distance: Approximately 51 miles from Paramus, NJ
6. Donaldson Farms
- Website: www.donaldsonfarms.net
- Location: 358 Allen Rd, Hackettstown, NJ 07840
- Distance: Approximately 48 miles from Paramus, NJ
7. Melick’s Town Farm
- Website: www.melickstownfarm.com
- Location: 170 Oldwick Rd, Oldwick, NJ 08858
- Distance: Approximately 35 miles from Paramus, NJ
8. Riamede Farm
- Website: www.riamede.com
- Location: 122 Oakdale Rd, Chester, NJ 07930
- Distance: Approximately 34 miles from Paramus, NJ
Please note that the availability of fruits and vegetables will depend on the season. It’s always a good idea to check the websites or call ahead to confirm picking options, hours, and availability before visiting.
Apple Picking Festivals and events in New Jersey
There are several apple picking festivals and events that take place in New Jersey during the apple picking season, typically between September and October.
These events often feature family-friendly activities, live entertainment, food vendors, and, of course, apple picking. Some popular apple-themed events and festivals in New Jersey include:
Chester’s Annual Harvest Celebration
Held in downtown Chester, this festival usually takes place over a weekend in late September or early October. The event features apple-themed activities, live music, food, and craft vendors, as well as children’s activities.
Apple Days at Terhune Orchards
Terhune Orchards in Princeton hosts its annual Apple Days event on weekends throughout September and October. The event includes apple picking, a corn maze, wagon rides, live music, and other family activities.
Apple Festival at Delicious Orchards
Located in Colts Neck, Delicious Orchards hosts an annual Apple Festival in late September or early October. This event features apple picking, games, entertainment, and various apple-themed treats.
Apple ‘N’ Pumpkin Harvest Festival
Held at Heaven Hill Farm in Vernon, the Apple ‘N’ Pumpkin Harvest Festival occurs on weekends throughout September and October. The event offers apple and pumpkin picking, hayrides, a corn maze, pig races, and other family-friendly activities.
Fall Harvest Festival at Johnson’s Corner Farm
Located in Medford, Johnson’s Corner Farm hosts a Fall Harvest Festival on weekends from mid-September through October. The event includes apple and pumpkin picking, hayrides, a corn maze, live music, and other fun activities.
Before attending any festival or event, be sure to check the organizer’s website or call ahead to confirm dates, times, and activities, as event details may change from year to year.
Tips for a Successful Apple Picking Experience
Apple picking is a fun and rewarding activity for the whole family. However, it can quickly turn into a frustrating experience if you are not prepared. Here are some tips to help you make the most out of your apple picking adventure:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes
- Bring sunscreen and bug spray
- Check the weather forecast and plan accordingly
- Call ahead to confirm the orchard’s hours and availability
- Bring cash or check, as some orchards may not accept credit cards
- Bring your own bags or containers for the apples
- Be respectful of the orchard’s rules and regulations
- Don’t climb on the trees or damage the fruit
- Sample the apples before picking to make sure they are ripe and sweet
- Have fun and enjoy the experience!
By following these tips, you can ensure a successful apple picking experience that will create memories for years to come.
Benefits of Apple Picking
Apple picking is a fun activity that offers many benefits for individuals and families. Here are some of the benefits of apple picking:
- Fresh air and exercise: Apple picking is a great way to get outside and enjoy the fresh air while getting some exercise. Walking through the orchard and carrying a bag of apples can help burn calories and increase heart rate.
- Family fun: Apple picking is a great activity for families to enjoy together. It can be a fun way to bond and create memories. Parents can teach their children about the different types of apples and how they grow.
- Healthy snack: Apples are a nutritious snack that are high in fiber and low in calories. Picking your own apples ensures that they are fresh and free of pesticides and other harmful chemicals.
- Supporting local farms: By picking apples at a local farm, you are supporting the local economy and helping to sustain local agriculture. It’s a great way to give back to the community.
- Learning experience: Apple picking can be a great learning experience for children and adults alike. It can teach about agriculture, the environment, and the importance of supporting local farms.
Apple Picking FAQs
What should I wear when apple picking?
Wear comfortable clothing and closed-toe shoes suitable for walking on uneven terrain. Dress in layers, as the temperature can change throughout the day. A hat and sunscreen are recommended for sun protection.
Do I need to bring my own bags or containers for apple picking?
Some orchards provide bags or containers for apple picking, while others may require you to bring your own. It’s a good idea to check with the orchard beforehand or bring your own reusable bags just in case.
How much does apple picking cost?
The cost of apple picking varies by the orchard and may be priced per pound, per bag, or as a flat rate for a specific container size. Some orchards may also charge an admission fee. Check with the specific orchard for their pricing structure.
Are apple orchards pet-friendly?
Policies regarding pets vary by orchard. Some orchards may allow pets on a leash, while others may not permit pets at all. It’s best to check with the individual orchard for their pet policy before visiting.