Home » Are Daffodils Poisonous to Cats? – attention cat owners

Are Daffodils Poisonous to Cats? – attention cat owners

Are Daffodils Poisonous to Cats? - attention cat owners

Anyone who plants daffodils should consider whether it is really worth bringing this toxic plant into the house, for example as a cut flower. It can be extremely dangerous for cats.

How dangerous are the active ingredients?

They are poisonous in all parts of the plant, the narcissi. The bulb stands out in particular. They contain the highest content of alkaloids. Even half an onion can mean the death of a cat. You can recognize that your cat has been poisoned by the following symptoms:

  • diarrhea
  • Vomit
  • Tremble
  • cramps
  • lethargy

Do not despair, but act quickly

If your cat is poisoned, you should act quickly. See a veterinarian. Give the animal plenty of fluids. If available, the cat should swallow activated charcoal at home. Acting quickly can make the difference between life and death.

Tips

Daffodils are not only poisonous for cats. Dogs, horses, hamsters, birds, and the like (especially curious young animals) also run the risk of being poisoned by these early bloomers.

I studied horticulture at the University of Guelph and in my free time I plant everything that has roots on a piece of land. The topic of self-sufficiency and seasonal nutrition is particularly close to my heart. Favorite fruit: quince, corner, and blueberry Favorite vegetables: peas, tomatoes, and garlic