Home » Are lupins Poisonous ? Risks For Humans & Animals

Are lupins Poisonous ? Risks For Humans & Animals

Are lupins Poisonous ? Risks For Humans & Animals

Leaves and seeds of lupins in the garden or in pots contain alkaloids that are toxic to humans, pets, horses, and sheep. It is, therefore, better not to plant lupins if children and dogs are often in the garden.

The seeds, in particular, are poisonous

Neither leaves nor seeds of ornamental lupins may get into the human or animal organism. Only wild animals tolerate the lupine alkaloids and do not show any symptoms of poisoning after consumption.

The exact amount at which the toxic effect sets in is not known. However, it can be assumed that even the consumption of one pod will trigger considerable symptoms.

Symptoms when poisoned by lupines 

  • restlessness
  • paleness
  • sweat
  • Vomit
  • shortness of breath
  • cardiac arrest

If parts of the lupine were accidentally ingested, the person concerned should drink plenty of water. If a whole pod or more has been consumed, medical attention is required.

The doctor ensures that the poison gets out of the body and also administers charcoal tablets to bind the pollutants. If the victims are pets, the duty veterinarian should be contacted immediately.

If there is any suspicion that parts of lupins have been ingested, relatives should contact one of the poison control centers.

Do not let seeds mature

The greatest danger comes from the seed pods, which have a fascinating effect on children in particular.

Therefore, always cut off faded inflorescences immediately so that pods cannot develop in the first place.


The sweet lupine, which is grown as protein food, is not poisonous, unlike ornamental lupine. Breeding has reduced the alkaloid content to a harmless level.

Avatar photo