It is easy at all to pick a favorite variety from the multi-faceted basil genus. The following overview presents recommended species and varieties for cultivation in beds and on the balcony.
Classics with Mediterranean charm
Of the more than 60 wild species, we are particularly impressed by the varieties of Ocimum basilicum. This species impresses with a variety of cultural forms, which are characterized by individual leaf and growth forms as well as a unique aroma:
- Genoveser: the undeniable top dog among basil varieties, with large, juicy green leaves
- Rosso: scores with dark red foliage and an intense taste
- a Foglia di lattuga: the Neapolitan classic with conspicuous, wavy leaves
- Large green: develops a powerful habit and is also weather-resistant
- Dark Opal: a real eye-catcher in every garden with purple leaves and a pink flower