Home » How Toxic is The Foxglove Really?

How Toxic is The Foxglove Really?

How Toxic is The Foxglove Really?

The Foxglove has a protection strategy that should not be taken lightly… But which parts of the plant are poisonous and how does the poisoning become noticeable?

Which parts of the plant are poisonous?

All parts of foxglove are poisonous. The stems and leaves are particularly important. The seeds and flowers are classified as less toxic. However, you should also be wary of them. Never eat the plant! it’s deadly!

How does poisoning become noticeable?

It is so-called digitaloids that make the foxglove an extremely poisonous representative of the plant world. If only small amounts are consumed, the following symptoms may occur:

  • nausea
  • Vomit
  • diarrhea
  • visual disturbances
  • cardiac arrhythmias
  • delirium
  • hallucinations
  • cardiac arrest

Be careful with children and pets

Extreme caution is required in gardens or households with small children and loose pets. For the sake of their children’s health, parents should not plant foxgloves in their own gardens.

Increased caution also applies to those who live on the edge of the forest or have a house garden there. The foxglove could have run wild on your own property.

If animals such as dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, birds, goats, horses, and cows would eat the thimble, they would also come very close to death or die from it. The poison is not interested in the animal species but acts independently and reliably.

Tips

The first aid measures in case of poisoning are: give liquids and call an ambulance immediately.

I studied horticulture at the University of Guelph and in my free time I plant everything that has roots on a piece of land. The topic of self-sufficiency and seasonal nutrition is particularly close to my heart. Favorite fruit: quince, corner, and blueberry Favorite vegetables: peas, tomatoes, and garlic