If the lawn looks worn and patchy, you can easily repair the damage. I will provide you with the tools you need to overseed bare patches or repair them yourself in no time at all with a patch of lawn.
Good soil preparation creates the basis
Regardless of whether you want to repair the damage to the lawn by reseeding or with a lawn patch, the following preparation of the soil sets the course for success:
- Mow the lawn with a cutting height of 3-4 centimeters (1.17-1.5 inches)
- Scarify the damaged areas manually or mechanically
- Enrich loamy soil with sand and clay meal, sandy soil with compost and horn meal
If you want to sow lawn seeds to repair the lawn, experts advise against additional fertilization. Only when repairing the damage with rolled turf patches should a special starting fertilizer be administered as part of the soil preparation.
Overseed gaps in the lawn
Forward-thinking gardeners always keep a small reserve of seeds after sowing a new lawn for future repairs. Alternatively, the specialist trade offers suitable seed that adapts to the existing greenery. Carry out the repair in these steps:
- Scatter the seed by hand on small damaged areas
- Repair large gaps with a spreader or hand spreader
- Work the light germs a little into the soil or sift thinly with sand
- Ideally, sprinkle a seed helper 0.5 centimeters (0.20 inches) high, like vermiculite
Finally, water the repaired lawn and solidify it with a lawn roller or flat spade. Good soil contact is important for the rapid germination of the seeds as part of a reseeding.
This is how rolled turf as a pavement repairs damage to the green.
Repairing gaps, holes, and bare spots in the lawn by reseeding requires a lot of patience. Several weeks pass before the seeds germinate and unite to form a dense surface. If you prefer to patch up the lawn in a day, rolled turf acts as a handy green patch. After the floor preparation is described, take care of the matter in these steps:
- Lay the rolled turf patch on the day of delivery
- Begin the repair along a straight edge
- Cut the turf into shape with a sharp knife
In the last step of the quick repair, water the finished lawn extensively and roll the green patch several times. If the natural amount of rain is insufficient, water the closed gaps thoroughly every two days for the first two weeks.
In the following four weeks, areas of the lawn that have been repaired with rolled turf may not be walked on.
You should not mow a repaired lawn too early. Give the patched areas enough time for vital growth. Only when the young grasses have reached a height of 8 centimeters (3 inches) are they cut for the first time. Until then, either steer the lawnmower around the areas in question or refrain from cutting the lawn.